THINGS TO CHECK WITH YOUR WEDDING PHOTOGRAPHER

*Image by Sophie Jane Photography The Wedding Photography market is a little over saturated as of lately, that's no lie. And I kn...

*Image by Sophie Jane Photography

The Wedding Photography market is a little over saturated as of lately, that's no lie. And I know most couples looking for a Photographer probably don't know where to start when there's so many people on offer at all different prices brackets. It can be tempting to go for the cheapest as 'they all look like they do the same thing' and surely some photographers are only jacking up their prices as it's got they've got the word Wedding in their services right? - not entirely!
I have and always will be a savvy spender when it comes to most things but I do think that some things, you really shouldn't skimp out on. That's not to say you should be going out and spending £1K - £2K on your perfect photographer. If you feel that's what you want to do to ensure you get the images you want from your once in a lifetime day - then you're entitled to do that. But there are some ways to figure out if that cheaper photographer is able to do what you want and give you what you want from your day with them without worrying. So I thought I'd put together some tips and tricks that can help you narrow down your choice in photographers and check you 1. Won't get scammed (this seems to be happening a lot with couples that book through Facebook Groups and such) and 2. Get what you want for the price you want. These are also things I like to run through with my clients to ensure I gain their trust and can deliver the product they want. 

1. If they have Public Liability Insurance.
This is a HUGE thing you should be checking - maybe even number 1. If you ask your ' to be' photographer to see their insurance certificate and they hesitate or refuse to show you- chances are they aren't legit. There are more photographers now who do photography just as a hobby or a side job and don't see the importance of insurance. That's not to say all people who do it as a hobby or side job aren't legitimate or don't have insurance but this is why you should check. In my opinion, I feel that paying just over £100 a year to protect myself and you/ your guests at your Wedding if something was to happen is no cost at all. It can cost just around £9.00 a month for Public Liability and Camera Equipment coverage so I really don't see why some photographers don't have this. It's also worth bearing in mind some venues won't allow your photographer on site if they don't have the minimum £1 million Liability Insurance so this is ALWAYS worth looking into before it causes any problems. 

A lot of the scam artists out there won't have insurance so I would always see this as a potential warning sign. If you want to go ahead with someone who doesn't have insurance - this isn't to say you will have a bad experience, but it can cause some problems if someone was to get hurt whilst they are shooting your day. As photographers, we take every care to make sure we are shooting your day safely and that you and your guests are having fun, but accidents can still happen. 


2. What their Photographing Style is. 
Some couples aren't aware that different looks in photos can be down to the photographers individual style. I am more of a Natural/ Documentary photographer and whilst I am happy to work with group shots and portrait posed photos, these are something I prefer to limit - especially groups. The reasoning behind this mainly is that the equipment I have purchased is more suited to my relaxed style. Different equipment can be needed for groups and I am happy to/ and can produce these images, they aren't as strong as the style I usually shoot in. I would always recommend asking your photographer what style they describe themselves as and a brief explanation. 

I prefer to gain information about my clients pre-booking so I can set expectations around group shots and posed portrait sessions with them before they book. Yes I can do them, yes I do limit them. I prefer not to do anymore than 1 hour during the day where I take the couple off for some posed photos and even then, I have ways of getting more of a genuine reaction from you as a couple than more of a forced posed photo. With groups, I also like more natural interaction in photos. I find it keeps guests more entertained so they are happy to have their photos taken and this way, we get the shots you want to look back on. I like to limit groups to no more than 10-15 set ups (we can discuss more if this is something you want but we will try to limit them to a minimum) 

3. Their Retainer Fee's / Payment Options
Most photographers will have their own rules when it comes to their payment schedules. I prefer 50% of the final balance upfront as a 'retainer fee' to confirm your booking which then marks that date off my calendar for any future clients. This payment is non refundable. The final balance is then due 4 weeks before the big day itself. If someone was to advise me before entering my contract that they needed more time to make payments, this is something that can be looked into but would need to be mentioned prior to entering a contract. Some photographers will take a smaller up front fee and then request payment after the day. Some photographers will want the full amount upon booking. I would ALWAYS advise to check with your photographer prior to entering a contract to see if there is something they can do with your payment options if your unable to work with their schedule. Remember not to be offended if they say no - we are small businesses that have to pay our bills and support our families.


4. If can you meet them before/ after booking
This can be a biggy for some couples and personally, I am happy to meet potential clients pre booking or post booking. Whatever you feel most comfortable with it's fine with me. I do advise all my clients however, that I can only supply one meeting in your booking and then any further conversations are via phone/ email or skype. 

If you then wanted to meet again after booking to go over more details or for a venue visit, this may be subject to travel charges. If your chosen venue is not a venue I have photographed before, I will attend myself when there is time in my schedule to scout out the location and confirm this to you once I have visited via email or phone. I do have to limit my meetings due to other client bookings/meetings so I do have to be a bit more picky with my time. 

5. Do they offer Second Photographers/ can you meet them?
I offer second photographers as an additional extra in all of my packages and have a pool of talented photographers I can call upon, both male and female. However due to scheduling/ locations and most of them working full time or owning their businesses, it isn't always possible for you to meet them prior to your day. I would hope that as you have entrusted me to photograph your day, you'd be happy with my selection of a second photographer for you. You are welcome to view some of their work prior to booking and I will always advise you of the person who would be there on your day prior to the day itself. The second photographer works with myself to get more images for you and from different angles and to ensure we capture your day perfectly. They will mostly be shadowing me and capturing candid moments through out.

6. If they have Full Galleries you can see.
All Photographers should have a pool of galleries from different genres of photography that they can have available to show you. I would say something like this in my opinion, is more important than in knowing how 'experienced' they may be. Images will show you someone's experience and if they are suited to what you are looking for. Anyone can show you a reel of highlights from their photographing past but Full galleries really can show you the scope of how they work and their consistency in shooting a Wedding. 

This is not the full scope of everything you should check with your Photographer but I feel these subjects of conversation are a great way to get to know your photographer and ensure you make the right choice. 

*All opinions are my own. 

You Might Also Like

0 comments